Ingredients (Serves 1-2)
- scant 1/4 cup toasted buckwheat, ground (or raw-activated-and-dried buckwheat)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs raw honey
- 1 Tbs shredded coconut
- 2 Tbs currants
- 2 Tbs chopped pecans
- drizzle of coconut syrup
Bring the coconut milk, water, vanilla and honey to a boil in a small pot. While the liquid is heating up, grind buckwheat in a coffee grinder until fine.
Add the buckwheat to the pot, stir well and turn the heat down to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, checking every few minutes to see if the porridge needs more liquid (we added a few extra tablespoons).
Scoop into a bowl and add shredded coconut, currants, pecans and coconut syrup. Enjoy!
Something super coolio about Buckwheat that you may not know is that it is used as both a food and a healing herb. Some sweet health benefits include:
- Adjusts metabolism, fat and the lipo-soluble vitamins due to the presence of inositol.
- Helps the liver in processing hormones, medicines, and glucoses, with a protective hepatic effect.
- The concentration of magnesium offers a relaxing effect over blood vessels, improving circulation and decreasing blood pressure.